Katie Fallon is the author of the nonfiction books Vulture: The Private Life of an Unloved Bird (University Press of New England, forthcoming March 2017) and Cerulean Blues: A Personal Search for a Vanishing Songbird (Ruka Press, 2011). Katie’s first children’s book, Look, See the Bird! is forthcoming from Hatherleigh Press (summer 2017). Katie’s essays have appeared in a variety of literary journals and magazines, and her essay “Rebirth” (published in River Teeth, Fall 2013) was listed as a “Notable” in Best American Science & Nature Writing 2014. Katie is also a Co- Founder of the Avian Conservation Center of Appalachia, Inc., a nonprofit organization dedicated to conserving wild birds through scientific research; outreach and public education; and rescue and rehabilitation. The ACCA is based near Morgantown, WV, and each year treats more than 200 injured wild birds, conducts dozens of environmental education programs, and sponsors citizen-science research projects. Katie has taught creative writing at Virginia Tech and West Virginia University. Her first word was “bird.”
- Katie’s essay “Rebirth” was listed as a “Notable” in Best American Science & Nature Writing 2014
- Adventures at The Biggest Week Festival, Magee Marsh NW Ohio.
- Cerulean Warblers and the Effects of Coal & Stip Mining in the Appalachia.
- Education and the public.
- Kids, technology, exploring the great outdoors
- Upcoming 2017 books Vulture and a Childrens Book