Dr. Merlin D. Tuttle is an ecologist, wildlife photographer, and conservationist who has studied bats and championed their preservation for more than 55 years and continues a fulltime schedule as founder of Merlin Tuttle’s Bat Conservation in support of his many continuing conservation activities.
He is globally known through his scientific discoveries, media appearances, popular articles, and photographs of bats. His work has been featured in expositions from Harvard University to the British Museum and in numerous feature articles that include the Wall Street Journal, The New Yorker and National Geographic .
His book, The Secret Lives of Bats: My Adventures with the World’s Most Misunderstood Mammals , was released by Houghton, Mifflin Harcourt Publishing on October 20, 2015. It was immediately selected by Amazon as one of its 10 Best Books of the month in its non-fiction category and received numerous outstanding reviews, including by The Wall Street Journal, The New Yorker, National Geographic Book Talk, Nature and The Huffington Post.
- Discovered a colony of gray myotis in Baloney Cave.
- Became Curator of Mammals Milwaukee Public Museum, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- You founded Merlin Tuttle’s Bat Conservation to focus your ongoing conservation work. Tell us about your razor focus on conservation through out your career.
- To further bat education and conservation, you taught yourself photography. Today you have over 150,000 film based and digital bat related images in your collection.
- Bat photography techniques that you use to this day, the setups and equipment
- Brazilian free-tail bat and Austin.
- Bat conservation efforts.
- The Secret Lives of Bats, My Adventures with the World’s Most Misunderstood Mammals.
- Loss of bat numbers and species.
- Merlin Tuttle’s Bat Conservation is the most recent contribution by Merlin Tuttle to the world of bats. You have not let up the advocacy for bats through research, photography and outreach.
- Transforming your color slide collection into digital files.
Mentioned In Episode:
NOTE: All photos & Bat audio clip in this show are only for this specific BirdCallsRadio™ & Podcast show and article is courtsey of ©Merlin Tuttle, All Rights Reserved. Photo may not be used in any form without written permission. Please respect the wishes of Merlin Tuttle and Merlin Tuttle’s Bat Conservation.
BirdCallsRadio additional information:
To Support BirdCallsRadio & Podcast DONATE NOW
BirdCallsRadio ON THE GO! to our podcast for Mac, PC & Android users automatically so you won’t miss any BCR podcasts; and please leave us a rating and review if you would be so kind! We appreciate it!
Subscribe to our FREE Newsletter and be part of something greater. Stay up to date on all our episodes and exclusive offers by clicking here on BirdCallsRadio and scrolling to the bottom and sign up with your email. All emails are confidential.