Christopher Leahy was the first occupant of the Gerard A. Bertrand Chair of Natural History and Field Ornithology at the Massachusetts Audubon Society from 2001 to 2017. From 1985 to 2001 he was Director of Mass Audubon’s Center for Biological Conservation.
Chris retired from Mass Audubon in the spring of 2017, after a 45 year career as a professional naturalist and conservationist, but continues to work on selected conservation projects under the Bertrand Chair (emeritus). His comprehensive interest in natural history began in childhood, and he is a recognized authority on birds and insects.
Perhaps his deepest international involvement has been in Mongolia, which he first visited in 1982 and to which he has returned almost annually since the early 1990’s following the end of Soviet domination and the establishment of a parliamentary democracy and market economy. Between 2009 and 2011, he worked to create a conservation program within Nomadic Expeditions, the country’s premier travel operator to promote sustainable ecotourism though guide training, marketing, publications, and exploration of new itineraries. More recently he has played a significant role in an international project involving American, Mongolian and European scientists, naturalists, park administrators and others to improve the infrastructure and management of Mongolia’s national park system.
- Gombobaatar Sundev, Mongolia’s foremost ornithologist.
- Mongolia almost defies imagination.
- Describe the topography and climate of the region.
- What are the main ecological zones and habitats?
- Describe the climate of Mongolia.
- Mongolian’s traditional resource conservation and the practice of sustainable use of resources.
- Mongolia known as the last wilderness nation?
- Mongolia’s best-kept secret is that it is one of the world’s greatest bird sanctuaries.
- History of Ornithology in Mongolia.
- What are the best places for a birder to visit when time is limited?
BirdCallsRadio additional information:
To Support BirdCallsRadio & Podcast please DONATE NOW
BirdCallsRadio ON THE GO! Subscribe directly to Apple Podcasts; Stitcher; Spotify; iHeartRadio Google Play; to our podcast for Mac, PC & Android users emailed to you automatically so you won’t miss any BCR podcasts; and please leave us a rating and review if you would be so kind! We appreciate it!
Subscribe to our FREE E-Newsletter and be part of something greater. Stay up to date on all our episodes and exclusive offers by clicking on BirdCallsRadio and scrolling to the bottom and sign up with your email. All emails are confidential.