Lynn E. Barber is the 1st women to complete a North American Big Year & identify over 700+ species; Shares her experience in these two diverse landscapes of Texas and Alaska and explains how to plan & enjoy a Big Year of your own with over 100+ color photos along with illustrations in her latest book.
Lynn was born in Wisconsin, and has lived (in order) in Alaska, Oregon, North Carolina, Texas, South Dakota, and now again, Alaska. Her books, Extreme Birding: One Woman’s Big Year(2011);Birds in Trouble (2016); and Big Years, Biggest States: Birding in Texas and Alaska (2020) were published by Texas A&M University Press. Other avocations include painting birds, bird-photography, giving bird-related talks, church volunteer activities, playing the hammered dulcimer, and baking cookies. She is married to David Barber, a meteorologist with the US Weather Service in Anchorage.
- You have done several biggest years in addition to the two mentioned in this book, tell us about the others.
- Tell us about the Texas Big Year.
- Next big year was Alaska, what was the plan for this vast state with few roads?
- What was the best and hardest bird in Texas and Alaska?
- Tell us about the illustrations both photos and art found in the text?
- Devote considerable space in the book to include an extensive write up of each species seen listed by state.
- Doing a big year may be expensive, break this down for us.
- Essential kit for a big year type travel either by auto or by planes, clothes, equipment, note taking and such.
- Final statistics for each portion.
- Describe your vision for the outrageous biggest year.
- What were your concerns as a sometimes solo traveler about your safety?
- What advice do you have for someone considering a biggest year?
Mentioned In Episode:
BirdCallsRadio additional information:
BirdCallsRadio ON THE GO! Subscribe directly to Apple Podcasts; Stitcher; Spotify; iHeartRadio Google Play; to our podcast for Mac, PC & Android users emailed to you automatically so you won’t miss any BCR podcasts; and please leave us a rating and review if you would be so kind! We appreciate it!
Subscribe to our FREE E-Newsletter and be part of something greater. Stay up to date on all our episodes and exclusive offers by clicking on BirdCallsRadio and scrolling to the bottom and sign up with your email. All emails are confidential.