BCR 099: Debi Shearwater
Debi Love Shearwater is a world traveler well known for establishing Shearwater Journeys Inc, a company which has offered pelagic trips from California since 1976. Many seabird records new to the USA and North America have been found on her trips. She has authored several popular articles about seabirds and worked with EarthWatch on a radio tagging project for blue whales at Monterey Bay. Over 65,000 nature lovers have joined her at sea. She has visited all 7 continents and scores of remote islands where seabirds breed. She enthusiastically leads to many unique areas, including Antarctica, the Russian Far East, and Galapagos Islands. Debi is a past member of the ABA Board of Directors. Debi is very involved in conservation projects for the ashy storm-petrel and tricolored blackbird. She lives in Hollister, California where she can see her most favorite bird every day, the Golden Eagle.
- Early days of Shearwater Journey’s
- How did you come by the handle, “Shearwater”?
- Challenges faced while observing distant & possibly rare species, how can a birder prepare for a pelagic?
- Modern tools and technology, help make your tours more productive.
- Data gathered on seabirds and other marine life sightings stream to research organizations?
- “Shearwater Decision.”
- Particular observations come to mind as the most memorable.
Mentions In this Episode:
BirdCallsRadio additional information:
Subscribe to our podcast for Mac users at Apple iTunes Podcasts, PC users at Stitcher, and please leave a rating or a review if you are so inclined! We appreciate it!
Another interesting show…nice work and thanks.
I enjoyed learning more about Debi and her trips.