Bernd Heinrich, a preeminent Naturalist, Author and Scientist. Bernd is also a noted educator, biologist and runner. Today we will be talking with Bernd about his latest book scheduled for release today Feb 18, 2020 called “White Feathers, The Nesting Lives of Tree Sparrows” by Bernd Heinrich, published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2020. The book is centered on a research journey that provided answers about the rich lives of tree swallows during nesting season.
The book we are discussing was compiled from observations and notes made from 9 consecutive Tree Swallow nesting seasons each lasting approximately 2 months per year. The observations are arranged yearly and progress in a linear fashion through each season.
- A spark is required to ignite a line of pursuit
- Typical nesting cycle of a Tree Swallow
- Experiments with feathers from a goose carcass
- Feather offering and feather play
- Conclusions or suppositions
- Tree Swallows are birds of the sky
- Various vocalizations that you noted indicated different behaviors
- Determining who’s who in complex relationships is a vital
Mentioned In Episode:
BirdCallsRadio additional information:
To Support BirdCallsRadio & Podcast please DONATE NOW
BirdCallsRadio ON THE GO! Subscribe directly to Apple Podcasts; Stitcher; Spotify; iHeartRadio Google Play; to our podcast for Mac, PC & Android users emailed to you automatically so you won’t miss any BCR podcasts; and please leave us a rating and review if you would be so kind! We appreciate it!
Subscribe to our FREE E-Newsletter and be part of something greater. Stay up to date on all our episodes and exclusive offers by clicking on BirdCallsRadio and scrolling to the bottom and sign up with your email. All emails are confidential.